Evidence submitted in response to this Consultation
The Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee undertook an inquiry into the general principles of the Local Government and Elections (Wales) Bill (PDF, 818KB). Further details about the Bill and the accompanying Explanatory Memorandum (PDF, 4MB) can be found on the Bill page.
Terms of reference
The Committee’s terms of reference when scrutinising the Bill are to consider:
· the general principles of the Local Government and Elections (Wales) Bill and the need for legislation to deliver the stated policy intention. In coming to a view on this you may wish to consider addressing the individual Parts of the Bill:
o Part 1 – Elections
o Part 2 – General Power of Competence
o Part 3 – Promoting Access to Local Government
o Part 4 – Local Authority Executives, Members, Officers and Committees
o Part 5 – Collaborative Working by Principal Councils
o Part 6 – Performance and Governance of Principal Councils
o Part 7 – Mergers and Restructuring of Principal Areas
o Part 8 – Local Government Finance
o Part 9 – Miscellaneous
· any potential barriers to the implementation of the Bill’s provisions and whether the Bill takes account of them,
· the appropriateness of the powers in the Bill for Welsh Ministers to make subordinate legislation (as set out in Chapter 5 of Part 1 of the Explanatory Memorandum).
· whether there are any unintended consequences arising from the Bill, and
· the financial implications of the Bill (as set out in Part 2 of the Explanatory Memorandum).
Providing Written Evidence
The National Assembly for Wales has two official languages, Welsh and English.
In line with the Assembly’s Official Languages Scheme, the Committee requests that documents or written responses to consultations intended for publication or use in National Assembly proceedings are submitted bilingually. When documents or written responses are not submitted bilingually, we will publish in the language submitted, stating that it has been received in that language only.
We expect other organisations to implement their own standards or schemes and to comply with their statutory obligation.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered the Assembly’s policy on disclosure of information before submitting information to the Committee.
The consultation closed on Friday 3 January 2020.
Should you wish to speak to someone regarding this consultation, please use the below contact details:
Equality, Local Government and Communities Committee
National Assembly for Wales
Telephone: 0300 200 6565