Concise Minutes - Petitions Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 1 - Senedd

Meeting date: Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Meeting time: 09.03 - 10.30
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/4141


Attendance

Category

Names

Assembly Members:

David J Rowlands AM (Chair)

Janet Finch-Saunders AM

Mike Hedges AM

Neil McEvoy AM

Witnesses:

Sara Moran, Diabetes UK

Beth Baldwin, Petitioner

Libby Dowling, Diabetes UK

Committee Staff:

Kath Thomas (Clerk)

Kayleigh Imperato (Deputy Clerk)

Sam Mason (Legal Adviser)

 

<AI1>

Transcript

 

View the meeting transcript (PDF 323KB) View as HTML (174KB)

 

</AI1>

<AI2>

1       Introduction, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

 

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting. There were no apologies.

 

</AI2>

<AI3>

2       New petitions

</AI3>

<AI4>

2.1   P-05-763    Introduce updated stroke advice - B.E.F.A.S.T. - and help save lives and livelihoods

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to:

 

·         write to the Stroke Association to seek their views on the petition; and

·         give the petitioner the opportunity to comment on the Cabinet Secretary’s response and any response forthcoming from the Stoke Association.

 

</AI4>

<AI5>

2.2   P-05-766 Make a Vegan Option Compulsory In Public Canteens

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to await the response from the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport, and give the petitioner the opportunity to comment on it before considering the petition again in the autumn term.

 

 

</AI5>

<AI6>

2.3   P-05-767 A487 Trunk Road Through Tre-Taliesin: Urgent Need for Effective Speed-Calming Measures

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to write to the Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure to:

·         request further details about the timing of the review into possible safety measures for the A487 and ask him to inform the Committee of the outcome in due course; and

·         ask if his officials will meet with the action group.

 

</AI6>

<AI7>

2.4   P-05-768 A call for the return of 24 hour Consultant led Obstetrics, Paediatrics and SCBU to Withybush DGH

The Committee considered the petition for the first time and agreed to:

 

·         note that a response was received from the Cabinet Secretary just before the papers were due to be published and give the petitioner a further opportunity to comment on it and any response forthcoming from Hywel Dda UHB; and

·         write to Hywel Dda University Health Board to ask:

o   what assessment they’ve made of the impact of the changes to Obstetrics, Paediatrics & SCBU services in the area since they were centralised at Glangwili;

o   for further information on how recent perinatal mortality rates compare to those under the previous configuration of services; and

o    whether there is any data available about patient transfer times to Glangwili Hospital relative to transfer times to other hospitals under the previous arrangements.

 

</AI7>

<AI8>

3       Updates to previous petitions

</AI8>

<AI9>

3.1   P-04-526 Please make Senedd TV accessible to deaf people

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and agreed to:

 

·         write back to the Llywydd as Chair of the Assembly Commission to:

 

o   note the Committee’s concern over the slow progress towards increasing the volume of Assembly proceedings that are available with BSL interpretation or subtitles, especially in the time since the petition was submitted in 2014;

o   ask the Commission to explore the options for developing a programme for making BSL and/or subtitling available for other Assembly Questions and proceedings within a suitable timeframe.

·         Inform the petitioner of the Committee’s decision.

 

</AI9>

<AI10>

3.2   P-04-408 Child and Adolescent Eating Disorder Service

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport and agreed to:

 

·         write to the Cabinet Secretary asking him for more detailed information on:

o   how the Welsh Government intends to improve the provision of child and adolescent eating disorder services;

o   the numbers of children and adolescents suffering with eating disorders and the capacity of current services to deal with the demand; and

·         once the Cabinet Secretary’s response has been received, consider whether to carry out further work on the petition or request a Plenary debate.

 

</AI10>

<AI11>

3.3   P-05-749 Reinstate Corwen's Mobile Dental Service

The Committee agreed to close the petition on the basis that there are plans to replace the mobile dental unit and the petitioners are satisfied with the outcome.

 

</AI11>

<AI12>

3.4   P-04-564 Restoration of Inpatient Beds, Minor Injuries Cover and X-Ray Unit to the Ffestiniog Memorial Hospital

The Committee considered correspondence on the petition and, given the amount of detailed correspondence received from all parties over the last 3 years, agreed to prepare a summary of the Committee’s consideration of the petition, include its reflections and conclusions, and share it with the Welsh Government, Betsi Cadwaladr UHB and the petitioner, early in the Autumn term.

 

</AI12>

<AI13>

3.5   P-04-481 Close the Gap for deaf pupils in Wales

The Committee considered correspondence from the Minister for Lifelong Learning and Welsh Language and agreed to suggest that NDCS contacts the Minister’s diary secretary direct to arrange a meeting and ask them to report back to the Committee following that meeting.

 

</AI13>

<AI14>

3.6   P-04-522 Asbestos in Schools

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Education and agreed to await further comments from the petitioner on the information provided by the Cabinet Secretary and noted that they wish to pursue the matter further on receipt of the petitioner’s response.

 

</AI14>

<AI15>

3.7   P-05-722 Protect Special Educational Needs

The Committee considered correspondence from Neath Port Talbot County Council and agreed to write to the petitioner to ask her whether she would like to take up the Chief Executive’s offer to meet with his officials locally.

 

</AI15>

<AI16>

3.8   P-04-683 Trees in Towns

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs along with further comments from the petitioner and agreed to:

 

·         write to the Cabinet Secretary to ask if they will consider increasing tree canopy coverage in Wales’ towns and cities as a priority for the Area Statement process that will be contributed to by Natural Resources Wales; and

·         draw the petition to the attention of the Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee as they are currently undertaking work on the issue.

 

</AI16>

<AI17>

3.9   P-05-747 TB testing of cattle

The Committee considered correspondence and agreed to close the petition on the basis that the petition appears to have achieved its aim.

 

</AI17>

<AI18>

3.10P-05-753 Strengthening the Legislative and Regulatory Framework Surrounding Waste Wood Processing Facilities

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs along with further comments from the petitioner and agreed to write to the Cabinet Secretary seeking her views on the petitioner’s latest comments before deciding how to take the petition forward.

 

</AI18>

<AI19>

3.11P-05-759 Re-open the Cwmcarn Forest Drive at Easter 2018

David Rowlands declared the following relevant interest under Standing Order 17.24A:

 

He has previously attended meetings for the campaign to re-open Cwmcarn Forest Drive and indicated his support for the attempts to re-open the Drive.

 

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs along with further comments from the petitioner and agreed to write to Natural Resources Wales to ask for more details of the timeframe for the study into the commercial feasibility and management of the Drive and seeking their views on the petitioner’s comments relating to funding for other facilities for mountain bike users.

 

</AI19>

<AI20>

3.12P-04-648 Unconventional Oil and Gas Planning Applications

The Committee considered correspondence from the Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs and agreed to:

 

·         await further comments from the petitioner on the Cabinet Secretary’s response; and

·         write to the Cabinet Secretary asking her to update the Committee once she has determined how the Welsh Government will approach the handling of existing licenses and future policy.

 

</AI20>

<AI21>

3.13P-05-692 Build an  International Mother languages Monument at Cardiff Bay

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI21>

<AI22>

3.14P-05-737 Save Our Bus

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI22>

<AI23>

3.15P-05-716 Free Train Transport for school pupils with Arriva Trains Wales

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI23>

<AI24>

3.16P-04-688  TATA Steel Port Talbot Power Plant

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI24>

<AI25>

3.17P-05-690 Resurfacing of the A40 Raglan-Abergavenny Road

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI25>

<AI26>

3.18P-05-740 Petition to Protect our High Street

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI26>

<AI27>

3.19P-05-726 Give Rate Relief to Local Authorities for Leisure and Cultural Facilities

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI27>

<AI28>

3.20P-05-734 Ban Letting Agent Fees to Tenants

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI28>

<AI29>

3.21P-05-751 Recognition of Parental Alienation

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI29>

<AI30>

3.22P-05-711 Ensure Disabled People’s Housing Adaption Needs Are Adequately Met

Due to time constraints the petition was deferred to the meeting on 19 September.

 

</AI30>

<AI31>

4       Paper to note

The Committee noted the paper.

 

</AI31>

<AI32>

5       Evidence Session - P-04-682 Routine Screening for Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young People

The Chair and Members of the Committee thanked Beth Baldwin, commending her courage for bringing forward the petition and offered their sincere condolences on the loss of her son Peter.

 

Beth Baldwin, Sara Moran and Libby Dowling answered questions from the Committee.

 

</AI32>

<AI33>

6       Motion under Standing Order 17.42(ix) to resolve to exclude the public from the meeting for the remainder of the meeting

 

The motion was agreed.

 

</AI33>

<AI34>

7       Discussion of Evidence Session: P-04-682 Routine Screening for Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young People

 

Members considered the evidence session and agreed to:

 

·         invite the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport to give oral evidence at a meeting early in the Autumn term; and

·         write to the Local Health Boards and professional bodies to seek more detailed information particularly about diagnosis and care in primary care settings.

 

</AI34>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>